You want to do something fun the next time you go to the beach? Buy a loaf of bread. It’s food for a needy creature.
‘Jonathan Livingston Seagull’ may be the best book I’ve ever read. It is the best thing I’ve ever read on motivation. Every time I go to the beach I look for my pal, Jonathan. He said, “We can all fly higher and faster.”
Seagulls inspire me. They have to fight for everything. They are aerodynamically perfect creatures. We all buy bread. I buy more — a loaf for the seagulls.
I love to toss it up in the air and have them catch it. Their sight and movement is so accurate, and they have to fight for every scrap that hits the ground. Every one of them is a “Jonathan Livingstone Seagull.”
Here’s what the book and other writings by Richard Bach taught us:
- Your conscience is the measure of the honesty of your selfishness.
- You’re never given a dream without also being given the power to make it true.
- Don’t believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding. Find out what you already know and you will see the way to fly.
- That’s why love stories don’t have endings! They don’t have endings because love doesn’t end.
- That’s what learning is, after all; not whether we lose the game, but how we lose and how we’ve changed because of it, and what we take away from it that we never had before, to apply to other games. Losing, in a curious way, is winning.
- Listen to what you know, instead of what you fear.
- You will begin to touch heaven, Jonathan, in the moment that you touch perfect speed. And that isn’t flying a thousand miles an hour, or a million, or the speed of light. Because any number is a limit and perfection doesn’t have limits. Perfect speed, my son, is BEING THERE.
- I don’t mind being bones and feathers. I just want to know what I can do in the air and what I can’t. That’s all. I just want to know.
- We’re free to go where we wish and to be what we are.
- Overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now.
- The only true law is that which leads to freedom.
- Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished. If you’re alive it isn’t.